Oleg Khoma (born October 30, 1966) is Ukrainian historian of European philosophy, researcher, translator and commentator on 17th- and 20th-century French philosophy. Researcher of Blaise Pascal, Rene Descartes, and Nicolas Malebranche.
Born in the Vinnytsia, Ukraine, he graduated with honors from the Faculty of Philosophy 1990 at the Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University and defended his Ph.D. thesis at the same university (1993) under the supervision of Professor Hanna Horak. Since 1990 and until now, he teaches at the Vinnytsia National Technical University. He defended his habilitation thesis (1999) at the Institute of Philosophy of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine under the supervision of Professor Oleg Bilyi.
In an effort to improve academic standards, in 2000 he founded Sententiae, the first Ukrainian academic journal specializing in the field of history of philosophy. O. Khoma remains the editor in chief of this journal to this day. Since 2008, he arranged several prominent international experts to join the editorial board and organized the mandatory double-blind peer-review process for all articles. In 2015, Sententiae became the first Ukrainian philosophical journal indexed by SCOPUS. Also, O. Khoma is the member of the Editorial Boards of scientific journals "Filosofska dumka" (Philosophical thought) and "Visnyk of Vinnitsya Technical Institute".
In 2003 he received the title of Professor; since 2004 he is chairing the Department of Philosophy and Humanities at Vinnytsia National Technical University. Since 2000 he teaches as a visiting professor at other leading Ukrainian universities, including National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy (2000-2005) and Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University (since 2006-nowadays). He is the founder and chairman of Pascal Society, affiliated with Ukrainian Philosophical Fund, and director of Renatus (Centre for Studies in History of Philosophy).
Oleg Khoma is also an active participant of the Ukrainian branch of the international project “European Dictionary of Philosophies: A Vocabulary of Untranslatabilities” and editor-in-chief of its section “Epistemology”.
Research areas – European Philosophy of the 17th and 20th centuries, contemporary French Philosophy, Philosophical Untranslatabilities, Ukrainian Philosophical Terminology.
Awards – 2001 was awarded the Programme for Support for publishing "Skovoroda", carried out by the French Embassy and the French Institute in Ukraine (for the translation and publication of Jean-Jacques Rousseau treatise The Social Contract, or Principles of Political Right.
2011 received a special award of the Ukrainian Philosophical Foundation for Promotion of philosophical commentary.
2015 was again awarded the "Skovoroda Prize" (for the edition «Descartes’ “Meditations“ in mirror of modern interpretations»)
- Truth and evidence: sympthomatological thinking in Modern Philosophy (1998, in Rus.)
- Comments and notes on Pascal’s "Pensées" (2009, in Ukr., co-authored with E. Chukhray) (Online read on scribd.com)
- Comments notes and bibliographic materials to S. Pinckaers "Sources of Christian morality" (in S. Pinckaers Sources of Christian morality. – Kyiv, Duh i litera. – 2013. – P. 441-595; in Ukr.; co-authored with E. Chukhray) (On the web page of Publisher)
- (ed.) Descartes’ "Meditations" in the mirror of modern interpretations: Jean-Marie Beyssade, Jean-Luc Marion, Kim Sang Ong-Van-Cung (2014, in Ukr.)
- Living God and theodicy (1995, in Ukr.)
- The problem of evidence in Cartesianism (1996, in Ukr.)
- Nietzsche and Schizoanalysis (1997, in Ukr.)
- Pascal about justice : power , machinery, structures (Duh i litera. – 1997. - № 1-2, P. 282-291; in Rus.)
- Myths about Pascal: the Problem of the Directions’ Variety in XVII сentury Philosophy (1997, in Rus.)
- J.-J. Rousseau’s Treatise on the Social Contract (1999, in Ukr.)
- Pascal’s Texts: the type of the narrative instance, the status of Truth, the topic of nuance (2000, in Ukr.)
- François Poullain de la Barre and Modern Philosophy (2001, in Ukr.)
- Modern heritage of the contemporary tolerance (2002, in Ukr.)
- Alain Touraine and the resuscitation of philosophy (2003, in Ukr.)
- Justification of the new French translation of Cartesian «Meditationes»: Ukrainian parallels (2005, in Ukr.)
- Leibniz’ Terminology as a living Mirror of Ukrainian philosophical terminology (2008, in Ukr.)
- Cartesian topics in the work of Pascal: Modern Pascal’s Studies and stereotypes (2008, in Ukr.)
- Pensées and Hermeneutics : philosophical significance of the new Pascal’s apologetics (2009, in Ukr.)
- Philosophical translation and philosophical community (2010, FD, in Ukr.)
- Philosophical cultures: tolerance and Recognition (2011, Voprosy filosofii; in Rus.)
- Anima / animus, animus / mens: accumulation of untranslatability (2010, Sententiae; in Ukr.)
- Ingenium and deductive method of Descartes (2010, Sententiae; in Ukr.)
- The Thomas Aquinas Doctrine on the background of Ukrainian history of philosophy (in Ukr.,forew. in A. Baumeister Thomas Aquinas: an introduction to thinking. God, life and learning. – Kyiv. Duh i litera, 2012, P. 9-14; in Ukr.)
- Descartes and Pascal : the way to philosophy on the background of the Grand Siècle (in 2012, in Ukr.)
- Apercevoir, perceptio and perception: the problem of Descartes’ auto-translation (2012, Sententiae; in Ukr.)
Translations and commentaries
- Pascal B. Works, in 3 vols. (Kiev, 1994–1997, in Rus.)
- Foucault M. The history of sexuality III: The Care of the Self (Kiev, Moscow, 1998, in Rus., in coop. with T. Titova)
- Rousseau J.-J. The Social Contract, or Principles of Political Right (Kyiv, 2001, in Ukr.)
- Malebranche N. The Search after Truth, vols. 1-2 (Kyiv, 2001, in Ukr.)
- Balandier G. Political Anthropology (Kyiv, 2002, in Ukr., in coop. with O. Goudjin)
- Revel J.-F. Democracy Against Itself (Kyiv, 2003, in Ukr., in coop. with Z. Borisyuk)
- Deleuze G. Nietzsche and Philosophy (Moscow, 2004, in Rus. )
- Condorcet About Elections (Lviv, 2004, in Ukr.)
- Poullain de la Barre F. On the Equality of the two Sexes (Kyiv, 2006, in Ukr.)
- Leibniz G.W. Principles of Nature and Grace ... (Kyiv, 2008, in Ukr., Ed.)
- Pascal B. Pensées (Kyiv, 2009, in Ukr., in coop. with A. Perepadia)
- Pinckaers S. Sources of Christian Ethics (Kyiv, 2013, in Ukr., Ed.)
- Leibniz G.W. Monadology (Vinnitsa, 2013, in Ukr., Ed.)
- Descartes R. Meditations on First Philosophy / Metaphysical Meditation (Kyiv, 2014, in Ukr., in coop. with A. Baumeister)